Instagram (fortheloveofahouse) !

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

seven random things and a very thankful heart!

I have been honored the past several weeks by being given the Stylish Blogger award!  I am overwhelmingly flattered, and would like to say thank you to each of the following bloggers who so kindly gave me this award....

Elizabeth at Southern Comfort

Lisa at Shine your Light

Jenny Beth at Life on Lyford

This award states that I share 7 things about myself.  Since my blog is all about me and the farmhouse you already know most of what is to be known, but here are seven random things about me!

1.  In my twenties I met and was blessed ("Bless you my child")  by Archbishop Desmond Tutu....

2.  I haven't worn a watch in over 20 years.

3.  I am scent-sensitive, so I am not a fan of perfumes.  Certain fragrances can give me an instant migraine (so when you come to the farmhouse to visit would you mind not wearing perfume/scented lotion that day?!!:)

4.  I have a wee-bit of an addition to these.
We belong to Sam's for one reason only- to buy Perriers in glass bottles. (please recycle!)  My Costco only carries the plastic bottles, and it is just not the same.
(photo:  for the love of a house)

5.  I own the soundtrack to The Wizard of Oz!  It is one of my top ten favorite movies.  I defy you to have a bad day after listening to Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead five times in a row!  see... you're humming it right now aren't you?!!

6.  I'm in my "happy place" when:   the farmhouse is freshly dusted and vacuumed (I am Fifi the maid btw), I'm in the kitchen cooking, listening to  Something's Gotta Give soundtrack  (Dan knows all is right in my world if he hears that playing!) and ...

having a glass of this.....

discussing the day's events with my sweet husband, and....

getting and giving sugar from this precious girl!!
In this photo Ella is doing her Flying Nun impersonation!  I did not do this to her ears!  Ella does funny, hysterical things with her ears!  for example.....

her Princess Leia impression!   About three weeks after we adopted Ella she walked up to me looking like this..... I think I laughed for an hour straight!!

7.  Jackson Hole Wyoming / the Grand Tetons is my favorite place in the world.
I grew up going there on summer vacations as a child.  Several years ago Dan and I spread my father's ashes in the Tetons, as it was his favorite place too.
(This photo of the sun rising on the Grand was saved from a webcam in the Tetons that we visit every day) 

The rules of this award state that I am to pick 10 newish-to-me blogs to pass the award to.  
I find it impossible to pick just ten.
So, after much consideration I have decided to "bend" the rules a bit and 
instead, I would like to pass this along to all of you
Please consider yourself tagged, snag the award logo and tell seven things about yourself! 
I love reading these lists, so please let me know if you play along!


I also want to say Thank You, Thank you to each of the following bloggers who did posts on
for the love of a house!

I am deeply touched by your kindness and generosity.
Thank you for all the blog love!!

Mama Bear's House :For the Love of a Kitchen..


And last, but certainly not least, a HUGE thank you to the fabulous (seriously, how can you be 28 years old and such a design talent?!) Artie at Color Outside the Lines who worked with me to design my new header and layoutIt is because of Artie that I can now show you large photographs!   Finally!  Thank you Artie!
If you would like help with your blog design contact Artie at:


  1. I loved reading the seven interesting things about you. I can really relate to the house being clean, cooking a nice meal, good music on and a glass of wine being your happy place. I have really been enjoying your blog. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with all of us!

  2. Were you in Peace Jam? Desmond Tutu is a highlight of any life! And I too am in the happy place cooking or when things are clean.

  3. I am so not surprised by your award! I love following your journey with your beautiful home. Congratulations! :)

  4. Joan - Congratulations! A much deserved award. I loved getting to know you even a little more through your seven things. My husband and I went on our honeymoon to the Tetons in Sep 2008. It was my first experience with them. Aren't they just the most magical place. We are making plans to go back again soon and hope to make many summer trips there as our son gets bigger, he's going to be 2 in May and we think he probably has a connection already. Congrats again! Our kitchen is coming along and I've shown my husband the pictures of yours enough now that he remembers all the little details. Katie

  5. oh my what a funnnnny dog ,and yes when the house is cleaned the washing and ironing are done ,and its Friday night ith a Glass of reisling it does not get much better.
    Take Care

  6. hi joan,

    congrats on all your awards. i need to do this too, so maybe this will prompt me. anyway, love getting to know you better. i love perrier in the bottle too! and ella is so dang cute. so glad we have met and when i come visit i promise not to wear perfume or bring a scented candle.



  7. I became a new follower a couple of weeks ago...your kitchen knocked my socks off! All I can say is it's my dream and I showed it to my hubby and said "Take note of this kitchen!"
    I love your pound dog...so adorable!!!!
    Congrats on the award...well deserved!
    Pamela :)

  8. Joan, I am OBSESSED with that soundtrack as well. I listen to it every night while I cook! Did you know I even searched for the soundtrack to "It's Complicated" as well. Little fact: turns out they didn't make one! But you can find the songs listed and download them on your own. It's a good one!! We are soul sisters now and could tear up the kitchen with some wine and a soundtrack!! :) I want to come visit now! :)

  9. Congrats on your Awards dear Joan, they are so well deserved. It's great to know that someone else doesn't wear a watch as well - I get heaps about my lack of a timepiece from everyone, but I don't give a hoot! Love your new look, Artie did a stellar job.
    Millie x

  10. Kara- my second, and VERY close, runner up is the soundtrack from "Chocolat" and then the soundtrack to "A Good Year"!!!!!
    I'm off to check out the songs from "It's Complicated!!"
    and yes... come visit!! Millie is coming to visit in the Spring!!!:)

  11. I did my own list today. How very nice that you did yours so we can get to know you better. We have a lot in common, you and I ... especially the watch thing, and the perfume reaction. The Wizard of Oz is the best movie EVER. I recite a line from it at least a few times a week.

  12. I loved reading this all! I can totally relate to #7. I absoulely love your pup and want to babysit her!!! Brought my daughter in to show her Ella's ear tricks!

  13. What a great post, Joan! I loved reading these fun facts about you. I agree that there isn't much that can top great music, great food, great wine and great conversation in a beautiful home (with your precious pup by your side of course)! I miss you, Dan and Ella very much and think of you daily!

  14. I enjoyed that snapshot of you! ... and love your images..and DOG!! That's hysterical!! I have a dane named Ben, and his facial and "ear" expressions can be comical, but your girl takes the cake!

  15. congrats, joan. you have one of the best original content design blogs. and I thought your images were bigger. love that.


  16. i love this post and knowing more about you... and i agree... gotta have the glass bottles and really cold!!!! xo

  17. congrats to you!! I do love your blog and it is looking fab with your big pics and new header! love getting to know you better :)

  18. Congratulations Joan, a well deserved award! I thought something was different about the blog and it must be the header- looks great!

  19. So YOU Joan- ie!

    l love all of your places and thoughts and ideas...
    I actually worked in the Tetons in collage at Jackson Lake Lodge..
    I get it!
    It is a spot like no other.

    xo kelley

    ps I love your watch and your babies and
    thank you for your blog Joan!

  20. Congrats on your award - well deserved as your blog is gorgeous. Thank you for your willingness to open your home and share your journey. I too love soundtrack from Something's Gotta Give. Up until I discovered your blog, it was my favorite "movie kitchen". Your farm kitchen has bumped this one into 2nd place. I love your kitchen!

  21. Ooooh. I haven't worn a watch in 20 years either! And bozo plays ear games too. I LOVE his round ears!

    Congrats on the award and the fame! All deserved!

  22. Congratulations on all your truly well deserved awards. I already knew I liked you but you cemented my opinion with the glass bottles and cooking in the kitchen with Something's Gotta Give- own that soundtrack as well, not to mention the fact that you mentioned the Flying Nun! Your Ella is simply adorable and I think I've mentioned it recently, but I do adore your new header - and you don't see inline type too much any more - not sure why - it gives everything an elegant touch.

  23. Congratulations Joan! I have loved reading your blog so thank you for writing! My husband and I lived in Jackson for a few years after college and we miss it so much - it is one of our favorite places as well. Breathtakingly beautiful. We try to get back once a year (if we can afford it)!

  24. Congrats on the award and I was happy to feature your blog. My blog is award free, but I do thank you for giving it to me.

  25. Ok you told me at dinner that Ella did this with her ears but I really didn't get it until the pictures....OMG that is to funny!!!! What a sweetie she is and she just does this all the time? Dylan dog couldn't do that his ear flaps are to long and floppy!But he does make puppy angels!

  26. Ella's impressions totally crack me up. She is SO talented!

    Oh, and THANK YOU for not picking me! I want to make a "Medicore Blog Award" botton and put it on my blog.

  27. I am totally with you on #6 (except you call it #7--you have two #7's). :)
    I am following you now, Madame Stylish.
    Mary Ann

  28. Love that your received this award by so many people - so flattering! I so agree with you on the Perrier in bottles...definitely not the same in plastic. Unfortunately we don't have a Sam's, but it's my indulgence!!

  29. The bloggy love is deep in you, my dear....smiles.

  30. Thanks for the award:):) but I have no idea how to take it fopr my blog:):) I guess I need Artie's help too! I am fairly new to blogging and SO clueless!!!! I just love seeing your posts! I agree with your 7 things. My hubby is DYING to go to the Grand Tetons! I hope someday we get there. XO, Pinky

  31. Just found you and I'm mesmerized by your blog!

  32. hi there! i think i left a comment on your kitchen re-do, but i hope you don't mind, i blogged about it today. i linked back to you of course!

  33. Congratulations on your award! Everything is beautiful and I love the new layout. Ella is too cute...such a sweet girl!

  34. Congrats to you!! I love sharing your blog with my husband (it is the only one he likes) and having my idea factory restocked with all of your beautiful pictures and words. Thank you thank you and thank you for taking the time to inspire me.

  35. Ok, so I can't believe that I am JUST NOW getting the opportunity to take the time to comment on this Joan! Forgive me! :) Ok - so, of course I have to comment like you commented on mine! ;)
    1. OMG! That explains just about everything! No wonder you're so fabulous! You've been blessed by the "in"direct hand of God!
    2. You know, I don't think that I've ever worn one for more than few days at a time. There's something about the weight of them, or maybe just the bulk, or the clinking against EVERYTHING ... asking people just seems easier. Now that it's on my cell phone tho - who needs a watch! :)
    3. We've talked about this, and I'm going to have to remind Scott when we come to visit you and Dan. I don't wear cologne, but Scott does - and it's STINK-EEEEEEE!
    4. Have you tried Pellegrino? Pellagrino? I'm not looking at a bottle so I'm not sure of spelling. I love the beautiful light blue of their label against the green glass. LOL! Is Perrier better?
    5. Not humming - full on singing! DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, THE WITCH IS DEAD ... I love that movie, and have seen Wicked 6 times I think. Have you ever seen it? Now that it's touring - it's been almost everywhere!
    6. Ok this one in two parts: (1) You can be fifi here ALL DAY LONG! I mean we're not dirty - but seriously, I am not a fan of the duster. I want to be - REALLY!!! and (2) I need to go get that soundtrack now ... itunes right after this! Oooo, and Ella! LOOK AT HER EARS! Tooo CUTE!
    7. I've never been to the Tetons, but I want to go. So many places I want to go really ... but I will put it on the list. When Scott gets home I have to ask him if he's been.
    Ok, now I've written a book! tee hee hee! I'm off to look over the Veranda and TradHome that came today. Ooo, and Beverly Hills Housewives Reunion! Playing catch up!

  36. I so agree about the fragrance. I really don't like it if I can smell someone's perfume. And, I avoid stores that are pungent. Like most big craft stores.

    Ella's ears are amazing. My dogs can't do a thing with their ears.

  37. Thanks for mentioning my blog on your post Joan. Just got back to the computer today. Been busy with clients. Loved this post interesting facts about you. Bundle up!!!

  38. Joan thankyou so much for mentioning me here, and congratulations on your award, you certainly deserve it, you get another vote from me on my blog!!


  39. Oh MY Gosh.... a glass of red wine and that same soundtrack are my two evening must haves while I make dinner, or read, or paint or lay by the pool, etc, etc! My kids, all teenagers, tease me to no end about it, but I did once hear my 16 year old son singing the french song at the end!
    I love, love, LOVE your blog....over the past week I have spent every extra minute on my computer reading each post and comment from the very beginning. Your home is amazing and everything is so lovely!
    I love your silver collections, I was getting ready to purchase new silverware, and had just decided to do the mixed antique instead, and I was wondering if you wash yours in the dishwasher? With three teenagers, if it has to be washed by hand, I may wait until they are away for college to start that!

  40. hi amoreena! I love that you son was singing the French song at the end- that is tooooo cute!

    I do not put the hotel silver in the dishwasher. Maybe you could collect your mixed antique flatware and get the teenagers to wash it?!! or not!!
    Do check out the 'Chocolat' cd as well, I think you will love it too.



Welcome! Thank you for leaving a comment; you have no idea how much your comments inspire me to keep writing- I appreciate each and every one.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...