TO STAY CONNECTED BETWEEN POSTS FOLLOW ME ON
Instagram @ fortheloveofahouse

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Phase II: the Loft



In our current Phase II of the farmhouse renovation I've already written about the barn room and the loft and storage rooms.  In this post I'll focus on the remaining portion of the barn:  the Loft
As previously mentioned, I've always had a very clear vision of what the barn room should look like;  I didn't think a great deal about the other rooms in the barn structure- the mud room, the storage room and the loft.  But, during the renovation they have organically become these really wonderful and charming spaces and have quickly become favorites!




The first two photos show the loft space as it looked when we found the property.  The trio of windows (which face west) are all in the loft and can be used for reference when looking at the exterior photos to see where this room lies in relation to the rest of the barn.  
This photo was taken from the location of our future master closet...






This closet. 
The framed square "box" in this photo is our master closet.  For size perspective the master closet measures 14' x 17'.  The barn room sits directly under the closet.  As you will see in later photos a wall will be built off of the beam in the forward part of the photo to close off what we call the master closet storage room, a U-shaped room that wraps around the closet.  Antique homes are well-known for their lack of closets, so where ever we can we add storage space.





The collar ties run the full length of the barn roof- over the master closet through the loft space.





We want to leave all the rough hewn, timber frame construction exposed as it is such a beautiful element in the space.





This is the loft facing south.  If you were to look out that left window you would look towards the farmhouse.  The walls of the barn are insulated using a closed cell soy-based blown-in insulation, which is why the walls are green!





The first finish-board going up on the ceiling on the north side.   I put a white pickling stain on the rough-sawn fir boards (and of course when I say "I" I mean I had the painter do it;)




This photo gives you a great view of the master closet and the U-shaped area that surrounds the closet that will become storage space. 




The gable peak in the loft measures over 17 feet!




The ceiling going up on the south side.




When we were initially working on the design of this room it was suggested to us that it would be easier (and in construction terms that means "cheaper") to put in a flat ceiling and cover up the collar ties.  We didn't see that as an option, as we felt strongly that they were an important element in the room.  What that meant is that each finished ceiling board would need to be individually scribed into and around the collar ties, a time-consuming and arduous process.




As is evident in this photo we have some very talented craftsmen working the job.




Closing in the gable...





The final finish-board on the ceiling at the peak of the gable.





The finish "barn wood" walls going in.  All wall boards in the barn (except in the barn room) are hung horizontally, as would be commonly seen in an antique barn.





I am really thrilled as to how the rough-cut pine wall boards turned out.  This stain formula was my custom designed mix (here I really do mean that "I" came up with this formula, not the painter;)
 
The raw pine boards leaning on the wall are how the boards looked naturally prior to my stain being applied.




Wall boards going in on the west wall.







In this photo you can see how the timber frame construction is left exposed and will play a big role in the architecture of the finished room.





The master closet/storage room wall being closed in.




Almost complete!   Lighting was added to the closet storage area, so in this photo you can see one side of the U-shaped space.  Below the storage room space (behind the ladder) you can see into the barn room.





The completed master closet/storage space wall.
The antique iron lantern was originally purchased to be placed on the exterior of the barn between the two sets of french doors off of the barn room.  When we moved the chimney to the outside of the barn this meant that the fixture was no longer going to work there.  While discussing this with my friend Steve ( An Urban Cottage ),  he asked me if there was any place inside the barn that I could use the lantern??   I walked the fixture through and voila!!
  The lantern is rather large and the scale is perfect in the space!   Thanks for the suggestion Steve!





 This photo was taken tonight.  We are currently working on materials for the stair railing.  The grills are off of the AC/heating vents being painted to blend into the barn wood.  Note the sweet down-filled chair found by the side of the road last winter frozen in the snow- Dan literally had to chip it out of the ice!





The windows have been trimmed with the same barn wood as the walls.



love!
don't you just love it when things start comes together?!


a post script....
For those of you who inquired about the stain formula you can find it in "my paint colors" on the sidebar!

61 comments:

  1. I love seeing all of the in progress photos. The attention to detail and craftsmanship shows in everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Love all the colors of the different woods. Gray and brown is my favorite color combination. And HELLO, LAMP!! That came out really nicely. Looks so much happier than it did on the floor of the shop. I think it's perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly gorgeous. We are doing our ceilings one 4 inch board at a time. Hard work, I am so jealous of the scaffolding and young workers!

    You are so going to live in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutley wonderful! I am giddy for you. That lantern is perfect there and I can't wait to see how the vents blend into the paint! Amazing!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!! Great job on mixing the stain! Now you're making me want to open up our loft and finish it...one thing at time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...what a process...and what beautiful results! I cannot wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! What a fascinating process, and I LOVE your custom stain and lantern :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome room. Just perfect. I know that you love it. I can't wait to see it complete. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely striking! If the grandeur of the room wasn't enough, the mix of wood finishes takes it all to another level. I think Steve earned himself a cocktail in the finished room for the great suggestion regarding the lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joan, Dan, and Ella: I know that every time you post, I am going to enjoy my time at your blog. I love that you have such respect for your home. Thank you for sharing/explaining your preservation of your home! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am hooked on this fabulous blog~ it's great escapism from my stressful 55+ hr a week finance job.....just when I think I'm going to lose my mind a new post pops up and all is well with the world. And dog lovers too. Many thanks for sharing your life and passions with the blogsphere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow and wow and wow again...amazing! I have been tempted to paint the rough hewn planks that are the ceiling in my house up in Vermont but was concerned that it would look strange and take away a lot of the barn loft feel (it too is an old hay loft) but after seeing what you have done I think I will go ahead with some white washing this spring. It will surely brighten the space up. Nice work and great inspiration! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic just fantastic! The ceiling is awesome and that light fixture is fabulous! Enjoying all these views of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great transformation! I love the wall boards and the stain you came up with!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! Iam amazed how gorgeous this is coming out..it was such fun to scroll through and see the room come to life. The hewn beams and pine are gorgeous touches!!! Really fabulous, cannot wait to see the next stage!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it. Also love that you are showing pics of each step. Your home is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is stunning, especially the wall boards. I think you did a perfect job mixing those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love each installment you add taking us along on your journey. I can't wait to see the finished product. *Becca*

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting to see the progress right along with you. I have always wanted to use old barn wood inside. Perhaps a half bath addition that we are planning. I've even seen kitchen cabinets done with it. But your wood is so beautiful with the stain application. Your touch is always perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much fun following the progression...adore the lantern and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I lived at my cabin full-time, or even visited it more often, I'd copy a lot of what you've done with your loft. Looks so great.

    That chair! The things people toss. Hard to believe, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Steve is one smart cookie. I love an outdoor fixture inside a home. Your loft is wonderful. As the years go by, you are going to have such fun creating in and decorating these spaces.......AND living in them!....k

    ReplyDelete
  23. Um.

    Can this be MY room??

    Pretty please?

    Cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thank you for this progressive and inspirational post...i am certain i can actually smell the aged-wood enlivened by the sweetness of the fresh-wood addition... such joyful transition and pairing! -xok.

    ReplyDelete
  25. STUNNUNG!!!! I love it and your choices are wonderful. You must be so excited to be almost done. I am so glad you are sharing as you go.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have the pants beat off all those other remodeling tv shows. Think you have a captive audience waiting with bated breath to see each step. Thank you for being so thorough. Being a contractor's wife makes it easy for me to understand and visualize too. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing!! It looks so great and its not even furnished - you made some great design decisions...can't wait to see it totally completed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The exterior lamp looks fantastic on the inside. The scale is indeed perfect and it really lends a lot of charm of the past to a new space. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It just gets better and better. I cannot wait to see the finished product (I'm sure you can't either)!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Every time I look at photos from your home, I find myself sighing with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm in love with your house, and now I think I'm in love with your barn!!! I love seeing the process of turning these spaces into something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. how in the world did you stain those boards?i have been looking for old barn wood for a barn patio but they are way to expensive..i never imagined you could create the look with new boards..hope you will share a few tips..i would be forever gratful..love our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You should have warned us!!!! We needed to make a bowl of popcorn before opening this post. My gosh- absolutely amazing!! The stain is perfection. Exactly how a barn would weather gray. I could curl up with a book in any corner of your house. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Joan and Dan,

    I can't begin to tell you how much I've been enjoying your posts. I love, love everything you guys have been doing and love that you have shared some interior photo's with us. Love it all.

    This post, with the barn room is, I have to say, looking completely sensational!! Sometimes the extra details, even though ardious can make all the different between blah and WOW!!! Just to be around craftsmen like the ones that are doing the work in your barn room highlights how stressing it is when dealing with amateurs, with their work ethic of near enough is good enough.

    Well done, thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the next stage. Oh, before I go, am loving the overscale of the lantern, so glad Steve suggested it!! Some things were just ment to be.

    Hope you are both well.

    Take care
    Janine
    XXOO
    Tasmania, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  35. WHERE should i begin?

    let me proclaim...i'm in love! with your dreams, your writing, your style & your farmhouse.

    it is a vision. you & your husband are brave people. there's not many of "your" kind of people left out there. inside of me i think i am one of your kind of people, but for now...i'm changing diapers for 2 & working with my other blessing so he'll learn his ABCs.

    your blog is just amazing. not only is your house just stunning & all that you've done & are still doing, but your words are so inspiring.

    first time visitor. i came through your front entry way post, your kitchen & your living room.

    i am speechless.

    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  36. I swear! You have the BEST blog out there! You really have a gift for decorating, design and writing! I am totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Joanie, Daddy was right you should have been an architect!

    The light reminds me of the Langton house with the back porch light that was included in the new den. Something about it being a Toddle House light that Uncle Ray found? I loved that little brass light! I think it was Mama's idea to keep it in the same spot when they added on the den.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love this space Joan....and what a great find Dan, that chair is amazing !!! Phase II was awesome can't wiat for III :), you too I'm sure.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey there! one of my blog readers recommended your blog, and I must say, I absolutely love it! So impressive. We just bought an 1880s house (in MA) and this is really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This blog is amazing and inspiring. I've just bought a house and even though it doesn't compare, I can't wait to make it my own. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  41. i love how it's coming together. i'm glad you chose not to do the "easier" option with the ceiling....this looks awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The ceiling looks elegant.

    The lantern is sublime.

    The chair is even more special for the story behind it.

    I have a loft that is currently toe deep in bat poo and old apple packing materials but your post, somehow, gives me hope.

    The bats would be so pleased if we gave them better digs! ;)

    Great house. Love your blog. Looking forward to following you for more!

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's looking simply marvelous. What a glorious space and yes, I love it when it all starts to come together. And I adore the lantern - it is absolutely perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm speechless. Everything about your home and renovation leaves me awestruck.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Phase two is wonderful! Love the gray barn boards and bring your outside lantern in, great idea it looks wonderful in the loft. Can't wait to see more.......

    ReplyDelete
  46. What an undertaking Joan...this makes my projects look so tiny. I think the barn wood is amazing too! Will there be metal trusses? Love it all so much!

    xo kelley

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think my heart is beating faster. This is incredible!! Can't wait to watch it all come together!

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow- the transormation is gorgeous! It is coming along beautifully. And I know you will not disappoint with the reveal. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your vision - incredible. The underpinnings, the work - more than can be imagined. Thank you for sharing the process.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beyond stunning, you know I love those collar ties exposed! Way to stand your ground, no one wants to do the extra work but it was clearly oh so worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. L-O-V-E!!! You are for real building my dream home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm new to your blog and must say that I absolutely love it and you!! I've been perusing your old posts and must say I've really got a sense of you and your lovely personality. I'm so happy to have discovered, For the Love of a House and can't wait to return for more!!!
    Best,
    La Dolfina

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a gorgeous transformation! It really looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love looking at your blog. Not only do you have a beautiful home in a beautiful setting, but your posts are very enjoyable to read as well. Absolutely love how the raw pine boards turned out after staining, would love to know exactly how you transformed them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  55. So sorry, I replied individually to the comments interested in knowing the stain formula and forgot to leave it here....
    I am happy to share the stain! All boards are being stained/painted off-sight so I am working on getting the names from the painter who has the cans. When I do I will post the formula here on this post and also under "my paints" on the sidebar where all of the house colors are listed!

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  56. For those of you who inquired about the stain formula you can find it in "my paint colors" on the sidebar!

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  57. Just wondering if we (the readers) will be graced with an update on the barn room? I'm eagerly awaiting the reveal!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Thank you for leaving a comment; you have no idea how much your comments inspire me to keep writing- I appreciate each and every one. Comments are moderated by me prior to publishing on the blog, so if you don't see your comment post immediately it will be posted as soon as I receive and read it. joan